Sunday, November 2, 2008

Thank You Mr. Powell

Listening to Colin Powell a few weeks ago, I found myself thinking, at first, how reasonable it actually sounds to vote for Barack Obama, especially in light of certain ideas I already agreed with -- like stopping tax breaks to companies shipping their jobs over seas; indeed, Mr. Powell seemed to be knocking every objection I had to voting for a Democrat out of the park -- conincingly; that was, until a very definite point in his interview where he started talking about the importance of Supreme Court nominations, and (I believe in reference to that subject) the feared "narrowing" of the party.

To be sure, Mr. Powell, speaking largely in code, was saying it's primarily because John McCain has embraced people like faithful Catholics, who wish to see Roe overturned, and the prevention of the application of the Comity Clause to the homosexual marriage issue, that he is fleeing the party by way of his support for Mr. Obama. Now, it may be that McCain will ultimately betray people like me when it comes to choosing Supreme Court Justices -- I can only take his word that he won't. However, and regardless of "what ifs," we should all keep in mind that Powell HAS taken McCain's word as one major reason to support Obama -- thus, for people like me who find Colin Powell to be insightful, straight forward, and credible, just as large of a reason not to.

No comments: