Saturday, April 11, 2009

What else dies with Christ?

Several years back, I overheard a fellow making light of the Easter event. Speaking on the phone to another, he rhetorically asked, “isn’t that [Easter] the day you celebrate when your god popped out of the ground?” Now, I’m sure the person on the other end was no learned theologian, and I have no idea what he thought or how he responded, but in my mind was almost instantly conceived the other side of my irreverent friends’ logic, which a-priori allows for no such miracle. For I immediately thought, well, then, what else has just popped out of the ground, so to speak, which my friend would have us bury beneath the dirt of trivialization? If a God does not exist - who, in principle, is able to do such a thing - then what of worth and value is there left not to shovel into meaninglessness?

Indeed, the choices seem simple to me. Either, (1) God exists, therefore purpose exists, or (2) God does not exist, and therefore life is meaningless. If the first option is the case, then why would we restrict God’s right possibly to act in such a way as Christians believe He has through Christ? But let me not stray too far from the main point, which must be a defense of what I said are the two simple choices; for all too often the reaction to this black and white statement is that the reader thinks it’s too black and white. Here, then is my reply.

As rational beings, our first-person perspective is governed by the laws of logic, which are universal. We know, therefore, that another person, who violates logic, is wrong – we can thus, at times, speak universally. If there are two apples on the table, two on the chair, and two on the floor, we know there are six apples in the room, and that anyone and everyone who says there are five is wrong. Well, we can likewise speak universally about the connection between moral acts, universally, but only if the object, or goal, is the same for all people. For moral acts are always made with some end in mind; as Aristotle said,

[W]e call that which is in itself worthy of pursuit more final than that which is worthy of pursuit for the sake of something else, and that which is never desirable for the sake of something else more final than the things that are desirable both in themselves and for the sake of that other thing, and therefore we call final without qualification that which is always desirable in itself and never for the sake of something else.

He then goes on,

Now such a thing happiness, above all else, is held to be; for this we choose always for itself and never for the sake of something else, but honour, pleasure, reason, and every virtue we choose indeed for themselves (for if nothing resulted from them we should still choose each of them), but we choose them also for the sake of happiness, judging that by means of them we shall be happy. Happiness, on the other hand, no one chooses for the sake of these, nor, in general, for anything other than itself.

But if there is no actual, eternal end, or goal, which is the cause of our desire for happiness, and which will grant us happiness once we’ve attained it, then this moral relationship to others, which is a perception of a logical connection based on this goal of our rational existence, is all meaningless illusion.

If choices, and courses of action, cannot be judged by reason according to an actual standard to which all are bound, and are, instead, a matter of individual taste, or what we call preference, then no one can say a choice or a course of action is really right or wrong, only that, based on feelings, one prefers this or that choice or course of action. This would mean, in real terms, that a sick-o child molester is no more wrong in his acts than you are for not wanting the child molested, or, put conversely, that you are no more right in not wanting the child molested than he is in his acts.

It seems, therefore, that my friend would bury more than just a belief in Christ, and that meaning itself depends upon his rising from death – and from the dirt of trivialization.

14 comments:

Ryan Anderson said...

Jesse; I'm glad to see you are still at it. And your writing has improved. I still don't buy a word of it, but I appreciate your posts.

Also, you are forgetting about and devaluing the "meaning" that we create. God is not a requirement for a meaningful life.

Jesse said...

Ryan, it's great to hear from you. I hope all is well with you and your family. And thanks for the comments.

Are you saying, then, that meaning is projected, and not the result of perception?

Ryan Anderson said...

Hi Jesse; I think you are much more up on the technical side of philosophy than I am, so I’m not sure if “projection” and “perception” have a more technical meaning that I am not aware of.

But to try to answer your question, I would say both. Take a Virgin Mary tortilla for example. The fact that we see the Virgin Mary instead of any other woman in the tortilla is projection. We’re projecting 2000 years of art and culture onto our tortilla. And the fact that we see anything at all besides a misshapen tortilla is perception (well, misperception).

I think the same could be said for meaning or purpose in life. Society and biology creates what we project.

Jesse said...

::Hi Jesse; I think you are much more up on the technical side of philosophy than I am, so I’m not sure if “projection” and “perception” have a more technical meaning that I am not aware of.

Hey again Ryan. I think most people, if you pressed them, would answer that worth and value are inherent in a human being, that our thoughts reflect a real quality from the person, and thus we really perceive worth and value in a human being.

Projection, on the other hand, would be what you seem to be saying: that, similar to putting on rainbow glasses and seeing things in rainbow colors, we cloak things with value that we bring to the table, and which have no rational, necessary connection.

This means, for instance, that if someone says a given loved one has no inherent worth and value, that you must agree, that from his perspective he's correct.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi Jesse

I agree. Ryan can of course consistently claim that life is inherently meaningless, but consistency always comes with a price, usually in the form of biting some serious (and frankly bizarre) bullets. The question always is, are you willing to pay the price? I think that your final point about our loved ones brings this out quite clearly: sometimes, all you need to do to effectively refute another person's position is to make him pay a huge price for his consistent development of it, and I can think of no higher price to pay than that of being forced to concede that those closest to us lack intrinsic value.

By the way, I also second Ryan's compliments on your blog. Your posts consistently display both a deep understanding of the issues you discuss and keen philosophic insight. Are studying (or did you study) philosophy at university?

Ryan Anderson said...

So, Eric, it seems to me you are suggesting that if it’s uncomfortable, it must be wrong? It would seem to me that my loved ones have value to me, to themselves and to the other people they love. However, none of us have any intrinsic value to a planet killing meteor, an invading army bent on genocide or to a hungry grizzly bear (other than nutritional value).

I’ll admit it’s a hard bullet to bite, but I don’t see how it’s bizarre.

Jesse said...

Eric, I appreciate your comments.

For what it's worth, I'm merely a student of the Great Books, both in the primary, Adlerian sense, and in the secondary sense (that is, books naturally connected to and/or expanding or furthering the themes of the Great Books).

Ryan, in this case the price of which Eric speaks is a clue to the absurdity of a worldview disconnected from ultimate purpose.

You've really, I think, avoided facing the absurdity yourself, which I'd suggest is actually a tribute to the fact of ultimate purpose, as well as to your own human sentiments to which you rightly cling.

Here's what I mean. You've deflected the point I made, (that "This means, for instance, that if someone says a given loved one has no inherent worth and value, that you must agree, that from his perspective he's correct"), from mind, wherein truth is had, to unintelligent meteors, bears, and genocidal maniacs.

But truth resides in minds, thus it is your mind which you must admit, in regard to intrinsic value of loved ones, reflects nothing that another mind can perceive. Thus, your mind only reflects your feelings, and those, consequently, are the things you really value, and which, unfortunately, no one else is obligated to value.

Anonymous said...

I guess if a genocidal maniac said my family had no intrinsic value to him, he'd be right. But rather than try to convince him of their intrinsic value, which doesn't exist outside my mind (and their own minds of course), I think my family would be better served by sharing the objective reality of a .45 APC with said genocidal maniac.

But, an abusrd worldview seems more fitting with an absurd world. Given the evidence, the universe does seem to be meaningless, at least on any scale that would have any meaning to us. Assigning any meaning beyond what we create ourselves seems to me to be nothing more than wishful thinking.

Take care.

Anonymous said...

Ryan, I would argue that my family's intrinsic value (and, indeed, everyone else's) is at least as obvious to me as my experience of the external world. (Note, to say that someone has intrinsic value is not to say that everyone must recognize his value; however, it does entail that anyone who fails to recognize it is wrong -- as wrong as the person who says that 2+2=5.)

Now, just as my perceptions of the external world can lead me to erroneous conclusions about its nature, I accept that my apprehension of moral truths may be less than perfect. However, just as I'm going to need a strong error theory to persuade me that my perceptions are not veridical, I'm going to need a strong error theory to persuade me that my moral apprehensions are false. Can you provide one?

Jesse, I'm a student of the Great Books myself. I was privileged to take a year long course on them with an outstanding professor. We read one author per week, so we managed to plough our way through thirty or so of them, from Homer to Sartre (I know, Adler would not have been pleased with that fast a pace, but he wasn't grading my papers!).

The ancients and the medievals are, it seems to me, the most interesting and the most sensible. The moderns have a lot of fine things to say about method, but their work on fundamental questions strikes me as thin gruel compared with that of their predecessors.

Anonymous said...

Eric; is the bear wrong for only valuing the nutritional aspects of those we hold dear?

Anonymous said...

Ryan, I would hope that the relevant differences between bears and human beings would be obvious.

In fact, you're inadvertently making my point for me. None of us would call the bear a murderer, either in the legal or the moral sense. However, we would call a human being who acted in such a way a murderer. Bears can't do calculus, they can't read Greek and they can't apprehend moral values -- and hence have no moral duties, which is why we don't call them murderers.

Anonymous said...

If "moral duty" doesn't cross species, then I guess it isn't "Universal"

pboyfloyd said...

I have a huge problem, Jesse with how you move easily from talking about counting or counted apples to morality as if somehow there were simple rules to morality as there is to arithmetic.

Ludricous.

You say, " God exists, therefore purpose exists.."

If this little 'dittie' is 'about' whether God exists or not, unless you are EXACTLY equating God and Purpose, you seem to be doing an 'end-run' around atheist objection to the supposed reality of God, since we KNOW that the word 'purpose' HAS meaning, we can agree that people can have purpose etc.

I think that you tend to try to make your points by conflating 'things' or 'beings' with 'processes' or 'substances'.

"If a God does not exist - who, in principle, is able to do such a thing .."

I think it is obvious that you're begging the question here.

For example if Merlin can't sing "Bippity-boppity-boo!", and have the dishes come to life and wash themselves, who, in principle, could?

All these kinds of arguments seem to(since we're 'on' about God) boil down to, "Imagine God...", (Jesse wins because we can imagine God)

Example:- "Imagine God sitting at a bank of dials fine-tuning the way this universe works!"

Really?

No.